What is Year of the Dad?
A year of celebration, insight and collaboration to promote the importance of fathers in child development and support men to be the dads they want to be.
How are we going to achieve this?
- Foster understanding of the key contribution fathers make to child development, family and community life.
- Increase awareness of the organisational benefits in acknowledging men’s family roles.
- Advance father-friendly practice within organisations and their services.
Why is it important?
- Research overwhelmingly shows that children, women and families benefit from the positive involvement of fathers.
- Valuing and supporting dads brings business benefits of increased engagement and a healthier work-life balance – which means more motivated and efficient workers. Recent legislation – including the right to request flexible working and shared parental leave – means forward-thinking organisations are embracing new working patterns for men.
- Promoting equality for fathers as parents at work and at home simultaneously helps to advance equality for women by decreasing the pay gap and creating more options for women to work and care.
How can I/my organisation get involved?
Join this new wave of mums, dads, practitioners and employers as we drive a shift in 21st century parenting and work culture that will benefit business, families and communities alike.
- Sign up to the charter for dads and commit your support either as an employer, service provider or individual. •
- Adopt father friendly practice, challenge ingrained myths about dads and tap into the win-win of shared parenting at home and in the workplace.
- Register online for regular Year of the Dad updates and show your support by downloading our digital supporters’ badge.
- Network with others in the growing Year of the Dad community and be visible as an early adopter in a high-profile national campaign.
- Let us know how we can help you celebrate Year of the Dad, share your best-practice stories and promote the importance of fathers.
Organised by Fathers Network Scotland with support from the Scottish Government Sign up at www.yearofthedad.org
Follow us on Twitter @yearofthedad #yearofthedad
Find us on facebook at www.facebook.com/yearofthedad
Together we can help make Scotland the best place in the world for children to grow up!